Any opportunity listed on this website can be used to meet the honors college volunteer requirement. If you’re looking for an off-campus opportunity, is always a wonderful resource.
Portage Northern High School:
Portage Northern High School is looking for a volunteer to help a new student from the Phillipines with translation and class work. If interested, please contact Amanda Thorpe at: email@example.com.
Communities in Schools of Kalamazoo:
- Two to three after school volunteers are needed per day to help with homework support time at Hillside Middle School from 3:15 to 4:15 p.m. Monday through Thursday.
- One to two bilingual (English and Spanish) volunteers are needed per day to help with the food pantry at El Sol Elementary on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 3:30 to 5:00 p.m.
- One to two volunteers are needed to help with the food pantry at Woodward School for Research and Technology on Tuesdays from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
If you, or someone you know, are interested in any of these opportunities, please contact Nicky Aiello, Communities In Schools of Kalamazoo Volunteer and Development Coordinator, at (269) 337-1601, ext. 202.
United Way of the Battle Creek and Kalamazoo Region can help students find volunteer opportunities. Contact Ben at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the information number 2-1-1 to be connected with non-profit organizations who are looking for volunteers.
FOCUS Kalamazoo is a Registered Student Organization that connects individuals and groups to volunteer with different non-profit organizations in the Kalamazoo area. Any individual may volunteer for any reason.
The volunteer opportunities offered this semester include:
- Rickman House: March 26, 3 to 5 p.m.
- Ministry with Community: April 1, 12:45 to 2:45 p.m.
There will also be an opportunity to be involved in a special event: Project Impact on April 8. Project Impact 2017 will be a day filled with giving back to the Kalamazoo and Portage Communities! Multiple volunteer events and times will be available. Application required: goo.gl/forms/tRtvoBeXKGHc7AKH2.
To get involved, go to focuskalamazoo.org, click the “Get Involved” tab, and click “Apply” under the “Individual Volunteering,” heading. Applying to the Individual Volunteer Program does not commit you to volunteering at any of the events this semester. You will receive a link giving you the option to sign up for as many or as few events as you wish.
For more information, contact Lissa Mueller-Hayes, Volunteer Relations Director, at email@example.com or (517) 410-3191.